[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: DDP CVS commit by jseidel: ddp/manuals.sgml/release-notes/de release-note ...

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 05:57:22PM +0100, Geert Stappers wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 09:30:55AM -0700, DDP CVS wrote:
> > CVSROOT:	/cvs/debian-doc
> > Module name:	ddp
> > Changes by:	jseidel	05/01/09 09:30:55
> > 
> > Modified files:
> > 	manuals.sgml/release-notes/de: release-notes.de.sgml 
> > 
> > Log message:
> > 	use latin1 encoding instead of HTML entities to simplify proofreading
> >       and to increase compatibility with various tools
> And which tools are that?
> I think you broke compatibility with XML & SGML tools. [1]
> [1] both are ASCII only.

OK, your're partially right.

The old code using ü and ß in each third word makes the SGML
source code nearly unreadable. Please note that the previous version
already contained a mixture of latin1 and ASCII.

I apply very often a grep -ri "errror" on German texts I maintain and
proofread to find and fix errors. I also wrote a few minor scripts which
check for permutation of characters, ... which is much faster than spell

IIRC aspell or ispell has trouble with HTML entities (I'm not sure about
this). I know both support a HTML option but ...

I also found a missing umlaut in the output (last PDF page) because
<url id="&url-debian-i18n;" name="&Uuml;bersetzungen">
was used but which works great using name="Übersetzungen".

PS: Please note that the website uses latin1 encoding as well. Nobody
complained ...


Reply to: