alternate plan for up-to-date docs on www.debian.org

We have all these plans for securely publishing the latest released
versions of documents.  E.g., scripts at one site, materials on a more
restrictive area, etc.

I think we need to step back for a moment.  Looking at these plans
realistically, I haven't seen a single one that really has a hope of
being implemented, assuming we're not just keeping the current
(broken) system.

Why don't we just have a well-connected developer machine provide
/usr/share/doc/{packages,...} (or a tarball of it), and then use that
to refresh the WWW master?  This way, we use the packages themselves
-- the whole problem of building source goes away.  The problem of
identifying which version in CVS to use goes away.

If folks need HTML versions of the latest in CVS they should use CVS,
or we could do something on alioth or a developer machine.

--
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@debian.org.....<URL:http://www.debian.org/>