Re: Rewrite/redesign of apt-howto

Em Wed, 31 Dec 2003 20:08:10 +0100, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> escreveu:

> Hi,  good to hear you updating contents.

Hello Osamu!

> Certainly it is something we need to inform uses.  aptitude has few
> issues as a packages.  Program is fine but its accompanying dataset are
> outdated.  So be warened.

Sorry, I did not fully understand what you meant. What are these 'dataset's
you are talking about?

> > Like dselect? =D
>
> I kind of like what dselect does.  If only aptitude has mode like this.

Indeed. I think we really need to have some kind of 'usability committe'
rethink aptitude's UI. Maybe the debian-usability effort will help on that.

> Few requests:
>
> 1. Please give fair warning of using testing on slow security fixes.

Latest version already does that, although it is hidden among the tips.
Maybe a full chapter or section discussing 'what distritbution one should
use'?

> 2. Please give fair warning of very likely conflicts under the use of
>    pinning actions.  Also fair waining of updating system to the latest
>    glibc for most cases.

I removed the pinning stuff for now while I rethink what apt-howto needs
to talk about it. The apt_preferences manpage is said to be much better
now, so maybe apt-howto's dutty is informing of that possibility, giving
some warnings and advices and refering the apt_preferences manpage
for 'how'.

> 3. Add CVS version based translation check like what I do.

Can you be a bit more descriptive on this one? I know the french
people do use the cvs revision as reference for their translation
effort, but I am not sure about what you are proposing.

Thanks a lot for your work and help, and sorry for the delay on responding,
I was traveling/moving to another apartment. No ADSL yet =( -- maybe tomorrow
the adsl guys will come to turn the thing on again.

[]s!

--
kov@debian.org: Gustavo Noronha <http://people.debian.org/~kov>
Debian:  <http://www.debian.org>  *  <http://www.debian-br.org>