Re: TeX settings (Re: getting DocBook to print)

On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 01:13:42PM +0100, A.R. (Tom) Peters wrote:
[...]
> >   * 'fmtutil --all' has to be run twice (I guess that pdflatex.fmt is
> >     updated during first pass, then pdfxmltex.fmt).
>
> OK, I was not aware that I should run fmtutil (twice) after changing the
> texmf.cnf file.  Are such procedures documented somewhere?

I did not follow TeX stuff for months (years?), so I do not know whether
this is a known issue or not.  It seems that having 'derived' formats
in fmtutil.cnf (by using the &format construct) is a bad idea, kpathsea
does then take into account the original format and not the derived one.
Maybe
  \input pdflatex.ini
could be prepended to pdfjadetex.ini, and fmtutil.cnf updated to
  pdfjadetex  pdftex  language.dat    pdfjadetex.ini
It should work, but teTeX maintainers could tell why this is not already
done this way, there are surely good reasons.

Denis