Re: maint-guide update (pbuilder, linda, orig.tar.gz etc.)

On Sun, Dec 26, 2004 at 02:12:49PM +0100, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been merging many BTS reports on maint-guide per Josip's loose
> approval.  Can anyone look into my changes to proofread it (Debian site
> has been somewhat updated but I have more changes committed now. Now FAQ,
> NM, linda, pbuilder etc. are all mentioned. So you need to wait 1 day or
> so to be current.)
>
>    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/
>
> or specifically check correctness for the following sentences.
> (I welcome English grammar correction too.)
>
> Josip (or I if he agrees) will upload package after new year day,
> I hope.
>
> ---------------------------------------
> 9.3 The orig.tar.gz file

-If you simply copy contents of debian/ directory from old package into
+If you simply copy the contents of the debian/ directory from the old package into the

-new upstream version of source tree and try to build package, you may
+new upstream version of the source tree and try to build it, you may

-end up with unintended result of creating a native source package which
+end up unintentionally creating a native source package which

-comes without diff.gz file. This type of packaging is allowed for the
+comes without diff.gz file. This type of packaging is only appropriate for debian-specific packages, which will never be useful in another distribution [2].

-Here, you must have the upstream tar ball as orig.tar.gz file in the
+Here, you must have the upstream tarball as <name>.orig.tar.gz file in the

-parent directory. Usually, this tar ball should untar to a source tree
+parent directory, where <name> refers to the name and version. Usually, this tarball should untar to a source tree

-rooting from a directory with a name <packagename>-<upstream_version>/.
+under a directory named like <packagename>-<upstream_version>/.

-In this cases, orig.tar.gz source file can be obtained by simply rename
+In this case, the orig.tar.gz source file can be obtained by simply renaming

-upstream tar ball to the original file name
+the upstream tarball to:

-<packagename>_<upstream_version>.orig.tar.gz . Please note that the 2
+<packagename>_<upstream_version>.orig.tar.gz . Please note that 2

> changes exist between source tree directory name and the tar file name:
>
>     * Change hyphen "-" to underscore "_"
>     * Add "orig." before "tar.gz."
>
> The dh_make command usually takes care creation of orig.tar.gz file.
> ----------
> [2]
> Some people argue that, even for the Debian specific package, it is a
-better practice to package the contents of debian/ directory residing
+better practice to package the contents of the debian/ directory
-not in the orig.tar.gz file but in the diff.gz file.
+not in the orig.tar.gz file, but in the diff.gz file.
> ---------------------------------------
>
> >From changelog
> ----
>   * Add Korean translation by Yooseong Yang <yooseong@debian.org> .
>   * Fix Policy chapter for changelog for all languages.
>     (closes: #216405, #243339)
-  * Fix debian/rule example for all languages. (closes: #244463)
+  * Fix debian/rules example for all languages. (closes: #244463)
>   * List <package/xutils/  for all but ES and RU. (closes: #167395)
>   * Fixed only in English.  Still unfixed for translations.
>     - Fix file location while introducing default.ent. (closes: #203609)
>     - Add linda and pbuilder (closes: #287064)
>     - Add mentors-FAQ URL (closes: #279312)
>     - Add dupload example (closes: #114948)
>     - Add -sa option, cvs-buildackage etc., dpatch.
>     - Add Build dep method per virlon's debian-mentor posting.
>     - Address issues of Debian native package. (closes: #128077)
>     - Add reference to buildd and FTBFS in pbuilder. (closes: #138575)
>     - Make working directory name consistent: ~/gentoo/ . (closes: #174816)
>     - Minor wording polishes and tag updates. (closes: #258273)
>   * Translation updated with CVS

Please be advised that I'm beeing picky!
Justin