DFSG-freeness judged by each package maintainer

----- Forwarded message from Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com> -----

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:35:16 -0700
From: Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>
To: pkg-doc-linux-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
Cc: p@dirac.org
Subject: (forw) Re: [vox-tech] [OT] The AFPL (was: some PDF problems: screen and print rendering do not match)

Hullo, Colin and Frank.  I hope you'll take this in the spirit intended.
licensing on "http://www.debian.org/legal/"; or
"http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?DFSGLicences"; to be binding upon them,
then they have, I believe, erred:  Debian developers are supposed to
_consult_ to debian-legal mailing list on licensing issues, but then
must make up their own minds on DFSG-freeness questions (absent a GR,
etc. to the contrary).

Accordingly, I hope you will consider Mr. Salzman's "Linux Gamers' HOWTO"
and his "Debian Jigdo HOWTO" on their merits, as (to the best of my
ability to tell) it is categorically incorrect to state that "OSL has
been declared non-free by Debian".  If _you_ decide that OSL is
DFSG-nonfree in -=your=- view, that is a different matter, but you should
then please state so to Mr. Salzman.

Thank you for your time, and I (as a longtime Debian sysadmin)
appreciate your work.

----- Forwarded message from Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com> -----