Re: "Debian Linux 3.0" "woody"

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 14:24:19 +0100, Francesco P. Lovergine
<frankie@debian.org> posted to debian-doc:
 > On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 06:24:36PM +0530, Sachin Zope wrote:
 >> I would  like to  know the  support policy  of debian  for their
 >> releases and the ship  and the end of life date  for the "debian linux
 >> 3.0"/ "woody".  I would  also like  to know what  type of  support eg.
 >> maintenance, full  support Debian  provides for  the "woody",  Can you
 >> provide a link on your website in support for this.
 > You are OT in this list. Anyway, the oldstable "potato" has been
 > supported (for security updates) for 1 year after the release of current
 > stable "woody". Information about releases and plans are at
 > http://www.debian.org/releases/

The way I read the question, the OP may be to assuming that Debian is
a commercial organization with a support staff. This is not the case.
Debian is a volunteer effort and commercial-grade support is not
available from the Debian organization directly.

Granted, in practice Debian is a rather well-supported Linux
distribution, but this is the result of generous contributions by
volunteer support engineers (if you can call them that).

Perhaps this should be added to the Debian FAQ somewhere?

See also <http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-basic_defs.en.html> and
<http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/ch-intropdedian.en.html>.
However, the former is not very specific at all on this issue, and the
latter is too specific -- the support discussion applies to Progeny,
not Debian.

/* era */

"intropdedian"?

--