Re: 4400 Guide Amendum

On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 04:18:28AM -0500, davided03@axcess.net wrote:
> To Whom it May Concern,
>
> Attached is a short companion guide to the Installation Guide for Debian for the PowerPC, dealing specifically with installing it on a Power Mac 4400/200, and allowing the system to boot to Debian from the hard disk.
>
> It probably requires editing, but, if you think it would be useful, feel free to use all or part of it.
>
> thank you for your time,
> David

> Addition to the Debain for PowerPC Installion Guide:
> How to Make a Power Mac 4400 Bootable to Debain from the HDD.
>
> Contents:
> 0)About this Guide
> 1)What you need
> 2)Prepping your system
> 3)Installing Debian
> 4)Booting from the HDD
> 5)Configuring XF86
> 6)Notes
> 7)Contact
>
> Section 0-About This Guide
>
> This is a Installation guide ONLY for Debian Linux on a Power Macintosh 4400/200. This is NOT expected to work for any other Macintoshes. If it does, great, but I offer no assurences. This set up also assumes you want to boot to Debian Linux, and ONLY Debian linux. If this isn't the case, this isn't the guide for you.
>
> This Guide DOES NOT require Mac OS to be installed on the target system.
>
> This is not a step-by-step guide, its an addition to the Debian of PowerPC Installation Guide, and is ment to be used with, not instead of, that guide.
>

> Section 1-What you need
> You will need
> 4 1.44 Diskettes. You need on these disks:
> 	The Mac OS 8.1 disk tools disk. This can obtained from apple's FTP.
> 	The Unaltered Debian HFS boot disk. It can be obtained from Debian's FTP.(See notes)
> 	The Root.bin image from Debian's FTP. (See Notes)
> 	A second Debian HFS bootdisk altered for standard boot. (See Notes)
> Debian Install CD
>
> Section 2-Prepping your system
> Not much to do here. No existing OS is required.
> Power down your 4400.
>
> Section 3-Installing Debian
> Insert your Unaltered HFS boot disk into the disk drive, and power up.
> The system will read your disk (it will take a few minutes), and request your root.bin image. Insert your Root.bin disk, and proceed.
> Configure your Keyboard, etc.
> When you get to the harddrive partioning, you'll want (atleast) 3 partions.
> 	a 5 MB HFS (apple) partion at the begining of the drive. (see notes)
> 	Your Debian (linux) Partion
> 	Your swap partion
>
> More about the apple partion later in section 5.
>
> Continue installing debian until you come to "Making the system bootable". Skip this and making a boot floppy. Quik Doesn't work (If you tried quik, your system isn't dead. Consult the debian install for how to zap your PROM) and the CD doesn't do boot floppies. Just power down, and get your 8.1 Disk Tools disk.
>
> Section 4-Booting from the HDD
> [...]

Thanks, David! I don't think I've seen this possibility mentioned
anywhere, nor thought of it myself either. For some reason I thought
miBoot wouldn't work from the hard drive.

Basically, you copy the floppy contents into a bootable HFS partition
on the disk. One could also do this from Linux, even in the installer
environment, I think:

dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/dev/hda2 bs=1024

I'll play around with it a bit on my machines, and then add the idea
in the manual as an option.

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People