Using wiki to encourage users to contribute to documentation.

Hi,

I recently attended a Linux user conference in Birmingham UK, where I met Martin Michlmayr and he encouraged me to describe my idea for wiki generated documentation.

Although I have been in the computer industry for a long time, I am fairly new to open source and Linux.
I am definitely a convert to the principles and methods of Debian so I am on your side. Please do not interpret the contribution as hostile. I genuinely want to help improve the quality of Debian's documentation.

My main interest is the documentation for the new user as that is the category I fit into as far as Linux is concerned. As a new, interested user I have browsed quite a lot of Debian and Linux documentation and most of it is quite difficult to read and understand for the new user. When I looked at the possibility of contributing to the LDP (Linux Documentation Project) it looked quite intimidating so I shied off.

Just recently I read an article describing Wiki and this really fired my imagination and enthusiasm because so many times I have read documentation that was incorrect and if only I could have changed it there and then I would have. It struck me that here was a way to generate documentation that both users and engineers could contribute to in a very open and easy way. The whole point about a Wiki is that you can contribute immediately. You don't need permission and you don't have to wait while you get authorised, rubber stamped, sanitised and what ever other hoops might be provided to jump through.

I agree that a Wiki could very easily get out of control if not supervised, but moderated sensitively it could produce some excellent results.Not only could a Wiki environment be used to document existing versions of the system, it could be used by users to define how they would like the next version to behave.

I appreciate that there is a lot more to documentation for a project as large as Debian, but here I am concerned with generating the content rather than getting bogged down with how it get translated, stored, distributed etc.

I also appreciate that the choice of wiki engine is critical to give the right control and the ability to convert the content to the desired mark-up language for easy processing to other document types.

I would be interested to hear your comments, objections or encouragement in such a scheme. I would be prepared to host a web site for this purpose and to moderate it with the help of your good selves.

Kind regards,

Andrew Ballantine