Re: future of dhelp

> > > If that is the case, I agree with you. However, I lack of
> > > ideas there... Will dhelp register itself with some script
> > > (hook) upon installation - so that it will be notified by
> > > doc-base without doc-base actually knowing that there is
> > > a dhelp?
> >
> > Yes.  That's easy enough.  Here's a pass.
> >
> > I provide a /usr/lib/doc-base/hooks directory.  Each file in there
> > should be an executable (script or compiled program) that takes a few
> > different first arguments (install, remove, version, possibly
> > 'update').
> >
> > If called as "/usr/lib/doc-base/hooks/program version" the program
> > returns an integer, what version do I understand.
> >
> > If called as "/usr/lib/doc-base/hooks/program
> > {install,remove,upgrade}" it will accept one or more doc-base file in
> > the format that it understands in stdin (we'll have to figure out a
> > file separator for separate doc-base files passed all at once).
> >
> > How does this simple first-cut sound?

I agree as well. To overcome the problem of a file seperator, I'd
suggest to call the program once for every action (install, remove,
upgrade).

> Sounds good and flexible IMHO. Maybe doc-base can provide a parser
> class for it as well to avoid that every program needs to reinvent
> the wheel.

I don't see how a parser (that would be written in, say, Perl) fits
into my program as a module. Communication over stdin? A parser
for everyone would be nice but how could it be done cleanly?

Bye,
--
Daniel
mailto:daniel.nouri@con-fuse.org