Re: scope creep in DDP Policy

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 08:37:48AM -0600, Adam DiCarlo wrote:
> Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> writes:
>
> > After some research, I found that the situation over "which documents
> > shall be covered by DDP?" is not too bad.  Anyway corresponding sections
> > in manuals.sgml needs update as follows to match new scope for Policy
> > Proposal:
>
> Excellent work.  Worthy of going on my revised scope branch.

Thanks.  I made a first 2 commits to it along what we discussed here on
list of documents.

> Yes yes yes!  I would even suggest making the ** and *** packages
> into a separate list of packages which are potentially DDP
> documentation, but not currently.

See what I did in the branch :-)

FYI: This list was taken from http://www.debian.org/doc

> > Repeat:
> > All translations of DDP documents must be covered by DDP new Policy
> > Proposal.
>
> I would agree with that.

Can you start making the real content change which include this.

> > Reminder:
> > If current Policy Proposal is successful, we will consider to attack
> > following issues:
> >  1. Maintenance of Policy Documents
> >    (including some core Debian Documents such as DSFG)
> >  2. Translation frame work
>
> Yes, to wit, a general translation synchrony checker and differ.  See
> the developers-reference one for a possible start point.

I know :-)  I stole similar script from boot-floppies and using it.

Your script works best with single file source while mine is tuned to
support per langage subdirecory.

# SYNOPSIS:
#             ./doc-check [-d] [-v] [-V] [lang [subdoc ...]]
#       -d: diff
#       -v: verbose on reading each file header
#       -V: verbose on diff
#       -e: verbose on equal rev file (default=quiet)
#
#
#       (uses $lang set to "fr" if lang is not given on commandline)
#       (checks all files if no subdoc is specified)
#       (-d option enables to check diff)
#       Make sure to update top few lines when proof reading

> >  3. Packaging coordination
> >  4. Style of package for package specific documentation.
> >    (-doc, -docs, doc-..., include SGML in binary or not.)
> >  5. ... Plug any concern here :-)
>
> Here's more.  We don't need to wait for ddp policy to be done to start
> on these.
>
>    . better makefiles, possibly a makefile inclusion system?
>    . makefile for docbook-xml documents
>    . XSL default style for docbook-xml documents
>    . possible integration of the www.debian.org/doc (webml) stuff
>      with the DDP cvs area
>    . working with ftp maintainers to get ddp published on ftp site
>      (are we using some sort of tags

Yes of course.

        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract