Re: new stuff on DDP web pages

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 02:05:24AM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:

> All the byhand stuff for docs should have been removed in favour of Javier's
> new debian/doc/ layout, but there was no automated scheme for updating that,
> either.

Also, the FTP maintainers did not want to use this layout.
Read these relevant threads:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-doc/2002/debian-doc-200205/msg00002.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-doc/2002/debian-doc-200205/msg00113.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-doc/2002/debian-doc-200205/msg00184.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-doc/2002/debian-doc-200206/msg00031.html

A summary of all of them would be:

- I was fed up with the current situation of the ftp/doc layout (BTW, a
bug should be filed) since it did not include translations and this layout
is used by the debian-CD script to create the official CDs.

- A (manually) created new layout was proposed, which included
translations.

- Michael Beattie didn't like the previous version (it was later
improved), the rest of the ftpmaster team did not answer to the RFC

- We didn't (completely) agree on a naming convention or layout (it was
discussed some times but we had different points of view)

- Denis created some script to autogenerate some of the Index stuff. His
scripts (and mine) are in the CVS:ddp/utils

So the current state of the issue is that it's half-way automated, the
ftp.debian.org/debian/doc is still managed through by-hand, the FTP
masters have not acknowledged the need to fix this and the woody CDs (and
3.0r1 too) will have the old layout.

Might I say :( ?

Javi

PS: I'm going to file that bug for ftp.debian.org now. BTW.