Re: docpolicy.html update

Adam gave me OK even with old one.  According to Debian web page he is
still the debian-doc leader (http://www.debian.org/intro/organization)
although he seems to be happy whatever I do as long as others are happy.

I bcced to people who had opinion on this isuue previously. (sorry
SPAMing you to get extra attention.  Response can be only to the list.)

I will commit this as is on this weekend if no one respond.

I appreciate people to second this change.

Osamu
   approved by our Documentation Manager, Adam Di Carlo.

     * All manuals of the Debian Documentation Project (DDP) will be released
       under DFSG-compliant licenses, most likely GPL.

     * We'll use the following directory structure in the filesystem and on
       our servers:

 Filesystem (installed by Debian packages):
  Index page for the archive contents (optional, auto generated):
   /usr/share/doc/Debian/<packagename>/index.html
  HTML:
   /usr/share/doc/Debian/<packagename>/<packagename>.<LANG>.html
   /usr/share/doc/Debian/<packagename>/<ch-1>.<LANG>.html
   ... (all other chapters of the document in html forms.)
  plain text
   /usr/share/doc/Debian/<packagename>/<packagename>.<LANG>.txt.gz
  PS
   /usr/share/doc/Debian/<packagename>/<packagename>.<LANG>.ps.gz
  PDF
   /usr/share/doc/Debian/<packagename>/<packagename>.<LANG>.pdf.gz

 WWW server (stable version):
   http://www.debian.org/manuals/<packagename>/index.html (optional)
   http://www.debian.org/manuals/<packagename>/<packagename>.<LANG>.html
   http://www.debian.org/manuals/<packagename>/<ch-1>.<LANG>.html
   http://www.debian.org/manuals/<packagename>/<packagename>.<LANG>.txt
   http://www.debian.org/manuals/<packagename>/<packagename>.<LANG>.ps
   http://www.debian.org/manuals/<packagename>/<packagename>.<LANG>.pdf

 WWW server (DDP, CVS generated):
   http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/<packagename>/index.html (optional)
   http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/<packagename>/<packagename>.<LANG>.html
   http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/<packagename>/<ch-1>.<LANG>.html
   http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/<packagename>/<packagename>.<LANG>.txt
   http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/<packagename>/<packagename>.<LANG>.ps
   http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/<packagename>/<packagename>.<LANG>.pdf

 CVS server (DDP, SGMML source):
   CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/debian-doc
   Repository: ddp/manuals.sgml/<packagename>/

 Debian package:
   Source package: (SGML source only)
    <packagename>_<version>_all.tar.gz
    <packagename>_<version>_all.dsc
   Binary package: (4 generated formats, plain text, HTML, PS, and PDF, only)
    <packagename>_<version>_all.deb               (install all languages)
    <packagename>-<LANG>_<version>_all.deb (for each language)

       Here:

          * <packagename> is the package generic name without language
            specification (it is most likely source package name).
          * <LANG> is the language specification used for the apache
            auto-language selection (en, fr, it, de, pt-br, ...).

     * We use SGML as the source format. Currently, SGML format compatible
       with debiandoc-sgml tool chain is chosen to be our document format.
       This source file format is expected to move toward DocBook-XML in the
       future when infrastructures are ready.

       The other options were: LaTeX, HTML, texinfo, and several other minor
       formats. These are not accepted anymore.

     * We thrive to publish documents in 4 formats from SGML source.

          * Multi-file HTML files with the starting page bearing the package
            generic name.
          * Plain text file.
          * Postscript file.
          * PDF file.

       Currently, many generated HTML files still create index.html or
       index.<LANG>.html as the starting page but these are discouraged
       practices since they hide other files.

       Bug reports are encouraged to provide the diff file to the SGML source
       but the diff file to the generated plain text file is accepted by the
       document maintainers. This means that users do not have to learn SGML
       to submit changes to our documents.

     * Every Debian document will have a single person listed as the Author
       and optionally a single person listed as the Translator.

   NB: In order to reliably produce PS and PDF files, texmf/texmf.conf must
   be provided by the SGML package and Makefile has to use it throgh
   environment variable "export TEXMFCNF=texmf/".