Re: Updating project-history document

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Javier Fern?ndez-Sanguino Pe?a wrote:
> +<sect>The 3.x Releases
> +<p>Before the next release was effective package pools were implemented

Consider replacing this paragraph with:

Before Woody could even begin to be prepared for release, a change to
the archive system on ftp-master had to be made. Package pools, which
enabled special purpose distributions, such as the new "Testing"
distribution used for the first time to get Woody ready for release,
were <url
id="http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2000/debian-devel-announce-200012/msg00004.html";
+name="activated on ftp-master"> in mid December 2000. A package pool
is just a collection of different versions of a given package, from
which multiple distributions (currently experimental, unstable,
testing, and stable) can draw packages, which are then included in
that distribution's Packages file.

> +<p>In that period, some of the companies that were shipping modified
> +versions of Debian closed down, starting with Corel, who sold
> +his Linux division in the first quarter of 2001, following it

s/his/its/

s/following it/closely followed by/

> +Stormix declared bankrupcy January 17th 2001, and, lastly, Progeny

s/declared bankrupcy/declaring bankruptcy on/

> +ceased development of its distribution on October 1st, 2001.
> +
> +
> +<p>The freeze for the next release started on july 1st 2001. However,
> +it took the project a little more than a year to get to the next
> +release, due to the changes in the architecture (the incoming archive
> +and the security architecture) and because of the introduction
> +of cryptographic software in the main archive.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the main cause of the
initial delay more than just crypto in main?

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2001/debian-devel-announce-200104/msg00004.html

seems to indicate that it boot-floppies that was the first cause of
delay (followed by crypto-in-main, followed by security architecture.)

> In that time, however,
> +the stable release (Debian 2.2) was revised up to seven times. And two

s/. And/, and/

> +Project Leaders were elected: Ben Collins (in 2001) and Bdale Garbee.
> +Also, work in many areas around Debian besides packaging kept growing,

Perhaps s/around/of/ ?

> +one of these was internationalisation, the web server (over a thousand

s/one of these was/including/
s/internationalisation/internationalization/ [Is this an en_us vs
en_gb?]

Perhaps s/the web server/Debian's web site/ [It's not really a
webserver per se.]

> +webpages) was translated to over 20 different languages, and installation

s/to/into/

> +for the next release was ready in 23 languages. Two internal projects:
> +Debian Junior (for children) and Debian Med (for medical practice
> +and research) started on that time frame providing the project with

s/on that/during the woody release/

> +different focus to make Debian suitable for those tasks.

s/focus/foc[i|uses]/

> +(<em>Sid</em>, the evil and "unstable" kid next door who should
> +never be let out into the world is the permanent name for the unstable
> +distribution

perhaps add Sid=Still in development

> ). The <em>testing</em> release is intended to
> +become the next stable release and is code-named <em>Sarge</em>.

Hopefully that helps out a bit.

Don Armstrong

--
Always try to do things in chronological order.
It's less confusing that way.

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu