Re: Migration tutorial

Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 10:12:18PM -0500, Diego Guerrero wrote:
>
>>I want to make a tutorial explaining the migration from windows nt +
>>exchange + checkpoint firewall to debian + qmail + iptables/netfilter +
>>ldap + squid + webmin, what do you think about the work?
>

> It sounds interesting.
>
> Considering "exim" is
>  1) default MTA in Debian
>  2) GPL
>  3) easy configuration
>  4) one big daemon (sendmail/smail like)
>  5) normal file locations
> and "postfix" is
>  1) default MTA in recent REDHAT
>  2) GPL
>  3) easy configuration
>  4) security ultra conscious small programs (qmail like)
>  5) normal file locations,
>
> why "qmail?  "qmail" does not meet 1, 2, and 5.
You gave me the answer
qmail is a secure Secure, reliable, efficient, simple mail transport system. and the webmin module is in woody

> Other than that, sounds good.
>

>>the idea is to do a big compilation of how-to's, cutting the old ways of
>>work, adding graphics and the information specific to do an information
>>migration, and explaining the differences between i386 and sparc
>

> If you want this to be a part of DDP, please use debiandoc-sgml and
> put graphics as a link:
>   <url id="img/name.png" name="image name">
>
>>i think that a chapter with network designing and the use of configmaker
>>could be a good appendix
>

> Start with good general idea, but write a few key chapters by yourself
> first.  Leave graphics work later.  If you write a good document, it
> will grow itself.
Off course, i think that the first reading could be "The cathedral and the bazar"
i forgot that i'll propouse some configurations and complete scripts

> By the way, your document sounds too general in some ways.  Just do not
> reinvent wheels.  There are many HOWTOs in LDP.  Differentiate your
> document from previous works and focus on a imaginary target audience
> you choose.
i'll just want to modify the howto's to be adjusted to make a migration,
the target is win nt administrators whit knowledge of computers and
networks and no experience with Debian or another linux distribution

i'm writing the index with so much detail, in some days i'll send you
and hope that doesn't sounds too general, i'll use antivirus, port scanners, sniffers, personalized kernels, web administration tools, rsync, ftp, configuration of winnt servers, and a big etcetera

>>is so much?, is a good idea?, how could i involucrate more people with
>>it? i think that the first release will be in Spanish, is that good or
>>better if i work in both at the same time, or just English?
>

> For my DDP document I started with English.  Japanese, which is my
> language, has not started but 3 translation exists already.
>
> Cheers :)
good way to practice my english

--
Diego Andrés Guerrero Jiménez
GPG Public Key: http://atenea.udistrital.edu.co/estudiantes/diego/gpg.html

"The mere formulation of a problem is far more often essential than its
solution"
Einstein