Re: How to get xfree86 v4 working after dist-upgrade?

On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 09:04:21AM -0700, Eric Richardson wrote:
> On the xfree86-4 install, if you install from scratch, not an update,
> then you get the new code. Upgrades don't work that way and leave
> version 3 alone but by the documentation makes it sound like you should
> get the new one unless you don't want it. From Debian Release Notes.
>
> "This release of Debian GNU/Linux contains the much improved XFree86 4.1
> release, which includes support for a greater range of hardware, better
> autodetection support, and improved support for advanced technologies
> such as Xinerama and 3D acceleration. XFree86 3.3.6 is available as an
> option, to support older hardware that is not supported by XFree86 4.1.
> "

Yes, this seems like a bug in the release notes. Cc'ed debian-doc for
comments.

> Slightly offtopic but I was wondering about this package configuration
> philosophy in general.
>
> You have the general command for Debian as follows:
>
> dkpg-reconfigure <package>

That only affects packages that use debconf - don't expect it to be able
to reconfigure every package. Use of debconf is by no means general or
mandated, although it's getting more popular among developers.

> But it also seems that many of the configuation commands that I assume
> are powered by debconf can be called standalone like the following:
>
> apt-config
> gdmconfig
> kdbconfig
>
> Are these only the ones called from the initial install or is there a
> naming convention <pkgname>config that is followed by all packages
> needing interactive configuration?

fooconfig programs are typically for packages that require complex
configuration, and for the most part I'd say they predate the use of
debconf.

> Also, slightly off subject, is it possible to supply a file with answers
> to the configuration to do a completely automated headless install?

Have a look at the fai ("Fully Automatic Installation") package.

Cheers,