Re: RFI: debiandoc-sgml V2

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 01:16:10AM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 11:58:51PM -0700, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> [...]
> > 3. SGML normalization.

> Agree, IMO Debiandoc DTD is too laxist; in order to ease writing parsing
> tools, it would really help if optional elements were avoided.

I do not understand this ??  Are we thinking same or opposite thing?

As a conten author, I prefer to be sloppy and computer normalizes tags
for me.   I prefer to have single well written tool to normalizes them.

Then other tools can take advantage for parsing.

> When we discuss on debian-www how to generate XHTML pages, we found that
> those optional elements were confusing, e.g. one could want to replace
>   <ul>
>     <li>foo
>     <li>bar
>   </ul>
> by
>   <ul>
>     <li>foo
>     <li>bar
>   </ul>
> whereas this is incorrect and must be written
>   <ul>
>     <li>foo
>     <li>bar
>   </ul>

Current HTML generater generate:
   <ul>
     <li>foo
   </ul>
   <ul>
     <li>bar
   </ul>

Not nice as I pointed out initially but it works.

> So in this particular case, optional P end element is only useful to
> hide misused syntax.
>
> [...]
> > 6. I wish to have some translation framework implemented.
>
> Me too :)
>
> > Denis Barbier seems to be developing interesting tool but if it is
> > integrated into debiandoc-sgml, it shall be nicer.
>
> Such a translation framework should be discussed and documented before
> it is implemented in debiandoc-sgml; in fact this framework does
> certainly not depend upon source format, some general lines could
> be drawn.
>
> Here are some thoughts, we could discuss them and others on debian-i18n:
Good points made :)