Re: Progeny GPLs manual

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 11:31:34AM -0800, Bruce Byfield wrote:
> From DebianPlanet:
>
> Progeny Linux Systems, Inc. is releasing the User's Guide included with
> Progeny Debian 1.0 for public use and is asking for volunteers to update
> and maintain the manual. The User's Guide is over 400 pages of Debian
> related content and will be available under the GPL (General Public
> License) and available at http://archive.progeny.com/progeny/debian/doc/
>
> The maintainer for the project is Bruce Byfield (bbyfield@axionet.com),
> a former Progeny employee who wrote the original manual. Byfield, now a
> marketing and technical communication consultant in Vancouver, Canada,
> says, "I'm glad to see the manual live on. The project will need some
> revisions to remove specific references to Progeny, but, basically, what
> we have is a manual for beginning to intermediate users that's about
> complete. I'd like to think that the project will help Debian to have
> documentation that equals or exceeds what the commercial distributions
> are offering." Anyone who is interested in helping maintain the
> documentation should contact Bruce Byfield via email at
> bbyfield@axionet.com.
>
> -----
>
> There's some work to be done to get the files into a free format, and to
> remove the references to Progeny-specific tools. After that, we'll see what
> happens. The manual may continue as a separate project. Alternatively, the
> people on the project may decide to fold it into existing documentation
> efforts.

There's a lot of good information here, mostly directly applicable to
Debian. Even screen shots! The quality seems very good.

I think there's a large hole in the Debian documentation bin labelled
Beginner/Novice. This would fill that hole nicely.

I'm willing to work on it, if others also think there's a place here for it.