Re: Debian reference

Hi Josip,

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 06:09:48PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> > > The Quick Reference mostly assumes that the reader understands the
> > > basic concepts. Instead of detailed explanations, he needs quick
> > > reminders or examples of how to do something. A "Quick Reference"
> > > is not a replacement for manpages and other detailed
> > > documentation.
>
> The Quick Reference is now Debian Reference. I thought Osamu did this
> in the new tree, this is what I suggested. It's his fault if he did
> these changes in the qref tree :)

I did.  Inertia dies slow.  And I think "spirits" of quickness is
still valued.

> The stuff he added from the FAQ really wasn't suitable for the FAQ. Like you
> said:
> > The FAQ offers detailed introductions to or explanations of a wide range
> > of conceptual issues, from philosophical ones ("what does 'free' mean in
> > the Debian context?") to technical ones ("how does Debian package
> > dependency work?").
>
> I never wanted to move things like that from the FAQ. What I told
> Osamu to move was the full explanations of how the Debian archive
> works, how the packaging system works and other similar things. From
> what I can see, he did that.

Yes.  I shortened it.

> Time permitting, I'll be looking at the SGML sources soon.

Maybe browsing web page of chapter 2 may be easier start.

> > > look at areas of duplication in the two documents. Some repetition can
> > > probably be eliminated, and cross-references can be added.
>
> Usually duplication isn't too bad if the maintenance overhead isn't large,
> and the information is not long.

Well, after doing all these, and reading new woody "Debian Policy
Manual", there is duplication.

Description on package in "Debian reference" may best altered to fit
non-developer audiences.  Problem is I may not be the right person to do
it.
Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com>, GnuPG-key: 1024D/D5DE453D
Visit Debian reference http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/quick-reference/
There are 6 files: index.{en|fr|it}.html quick-reference.{en|fr|it}.txt
I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.