Re: Capitalization conventions for Debian release names

On Thursday 25 April 2002 10:04 pm, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 09:54:02PM -0400, David Sewell wrote:
> > I'm beginning a second round of proofreading of the Debian Reference (aka
> > Qref).
> >
> > Is there a consensus among documentation writers on how to handle Debian
> > release codenames (Slink, Potato, Woody, etc.)? Usage varies almost
> > randomly, it seems, even in publications like the Debian Weekly News,
> > where you can find "woody" and "Woody" in the same paragraph.
>
> Correct practice is all lower case for Debian.  If for toy storiy,
> capitalize first letter.
>
> Let's check FAQ and release note people.
>
> ftparchive.sgml /FAQ
> potato              distribution name
> Mr. Potato          Toy story caracter
> <em>potato</em>     Debian codename
> <tt>potato</tt>     symlink name for ftp archive
>
> Relase note release-notes.sgml/boot-floppies
> releases 2.2 (`potato')

as a documentation user, and as a technical writer, i think that david has
the right idea--which may seem hugely ironic given that i don't observe mla
or any other rules of capitalization in my posts. forgive this indulgence; it
has to do with limitations of movement, which handicap i address by other
means that would limit the expedience i need to achieve in posting to lists.
honestly, as a reader, i would favor david's opinion of appropriate
capitalization.

ben