Re: Progeny Debian Manual Project - Let's Talk Content

On Sunday 14 April 2002 04:04 pm, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Yep.  Let's talk content.
>
>  We need to make this document into _Debian_ User's Guide.
>

> On Sun, Apr 14, 2002 at 03:02:52PM -0300, Bruce Byfield wrote:
>
> > Second, I wanted to mention that what has been down on the project in
> > the last few weeks has been formatting, largely due to the efforts of
> > Osamu Aoki. I'm very glad that someone took the lead in this effort,
> > especially so we can start to get away from the embarrassment of an open
> > source project that's dealing in proprietary formats. Also, while this
> > work is very necessary, it can drag on, so the earlier it's started, the
> > better.
>
> Thanks.  HTML output of current version is available at:
>  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
>
>  I still need to refine <ref ...> tags.  Also, including modified
>  original HTML as SGML comments for the table section may be a good
>  thing to do.  It shall prepare for the future like XML.
>
> > However, I am also concerned that some people might lose interest from
> > too much talk about formatting, so I wanted to raise the issue of
> > content.
>
> That is exactly the reason why I posted SGML before fully arguing over
> formats.  File format conversion between XML and SGML are trivial thing
> but we need working documents for content brush-up.
>
> > As I see things, here are some of the areas where work needs to be done,
> > and decisions need to be made:
> >
> > 1. The introduction - While some reference to Progeny is appropriate
> > here, the section needs to be rewritten to give more information about
> > Debian, and less about Progeny. In particular, an explanation of stable,
> > testing and unstable would be useful here. This is a relatively small
> > job.
>
> I started some editing in current SGML version.  It needs some English
> speaker to make it nice.  This should be nice and compact.  (Smaller
> than Install manual.  Maybe we should copy some from there.)

if all you need is an english text editor, i'd be happy to take on that task
and simply forward it to osamu for inclusion in his contribution.
professionally, i've worked as an english language copy editor for fox japan,
so i may have an edge on interpreting idiomatic japanese-english.

ben