Re: How do I get New Maintainer's Guide + Perl Policy in ASCII, ps or pdf?

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Julian Gilbey wrote:

> > How do I get the Debian manuals, especially New Maintainer's Guide and the
> > Perl Policy in ASCII/ps/pdf?
>
> Use debiandoc2* (where *=latex, latexdvi, latexps, latexpdf, text,
> textov etc.).

Thanks!  Where could I have found that information myself?  (I'm sure it's
written down somewher but I couldn't find it... :( )

Oh, one more thing:  the debiandoc2* commands in stable can't handle the
newest versions of the SGML documents.  Do I have to somehow get and run
the unstable version of debiandoc2-whatever?  Or can I just upgrade a
single dtd file or something similarly simple?

If I have to use the unstable version - is there a simple way to use it
with an otherwise standard debian stable installation?  I think it should
be possible to apt-get source debiandoc-whatever-the-package is called and
then run a nifty little script on it to create a new .deb file, this time
tailored to stable instead of unstable and then use dpkg on it...

Is that trick described somewhere?

-Peter

Code is much like elephant dung.  The more code, the more bugs.
You have to let it rest a while to make sure that the bugs are gone (and large
heaps rot slowly).