Re: man tool

Il Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 10:25:48AM -0500, Alex Jacques scriveva:
> Any improvement to the usability of GNU/Linux documentation is welcome.
> However, in order to avoid duplication of effort I suggest you investigate
> the dwww Debian package if you're not already familiar with it. It has some
> nice search features. It seems a little strange to setup a web server just
> for local use of one machine, but I found that with the Debian packaging
> system it was effortless (just make sure port 80 is blocked from the outside
> world by your firewall).

That's nice, real. Today the people should use linux as OS, also for
work/office use, and using it at home shoul be easy. Linux today is an
OS, not a small kernel to trying various hacking system etc etc etc...
IMHO, a tool like "man-find word" a system (dwww is that) that requires
a browser and a server are two very different things.
The first is easy-to-use, small, fast and specific. The second work as a
local search-engine for docs. Sure, it's larger and completer. But, i
think, most times it need to known how installed programs work, not find
the documentation of all tools that are doing determinate job...

> Also, if you're a KDE user, try the search features of the KDE help center,
> which uses htdig for searching. On my system if I press "update index" the
> man pages and info manuals are still grayed out (I'm running KDE 2.2beta),
> but it looks like this capability will be added?

(I'm using my loved WindowMaker with my loved final fantasy theme :) )
In any case, this cannot be limited to KDE users, IMHO.

my idea's simple to develop and takes little time, so i think that it's
worth the trouble.

ciauz