Re: confusing documentation

On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 10:40:10PM -0400, Andy Saxena wrote:
> "When sid did not exist, the FTP site organization had one major flaw: there
> was an assumption that when an architecture is created in the current
> unstable, it will be released when that distribution becomes the new stable.
> For many architectures that isn't the case, with the result that those
> directories had to be moved at release time, chewing up lots of bandwidth."
>
> The the following is implied:
> 1) "Distribution becomes stable" -> "Well, really when the said distribution
> under the i386 architecture (with Debian?) becomes stable, if indeed the i386
> architecture matures the fastest."

Not quite. "That distribution" = "the current unstable". All the
architectures we release (in potato: alpha, arm, i386, m68k, powerpc,
sparc) are released simultaneously as stable, but they've all become
releasable at various points over the years. slink didn't have arm or
powerpc, for instance.

There are some architectures that sit in unstable for some time without
actually being released, such as hurd-i386. It used to be that those
packages would be kept in potato/main/binary-hurd-i386/ (not a real
example, as we had sid by then), and then would have to be moved all in
one go to woody/main/binary-hurd-i386/ when potato was released to avoid
it looking like hurd-i386 was part of that release. Keeping them in sid/
until they become ready for release helped, while package pools helped
even more.