Re: Debian intro for UNIX users

> Em Mon, 30 Jul 2001 10:03:01 +0200
> Eduard Bloch <edi@gmx.de> escreveu:
>
>> Did anyone wrote a "Managing Kernel and Modules with kernel-package"
>> howto? I am considering to write one.
> nah... but that would fit in the doc I'm writing now... the practical(?)
> guide to Debian GNU/Linux
>
> It is a guide to fullfill the need of some doc to tell the users about
> the Debian's facilities and there are lots of tools that are unknown
> even to us, developers, and that are damn usefull... (I didn't know
> dhelp, dwww, dpkg-repack) and that kind of tool that a person is always
> searching for, like dpkg-reconfigure =)

I think that's great, but as i've been looking into Debian documentation
indices the last week or so. I'm told that dhelp and dwww are on the way
out, and doc-central (doccentral) is on the way in.

The only problem I see, is that doc-central relies on a cgi-capable web
server running on the machine, which most home users don't want or need to
have running. I tried it with dhttpd, a simpler web server, but since that's
not cgi-capable it didn't work.

dhelp OTOH worked without any web server.

|  .''`.  | Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>            |
| : :'  : | debian-imac:    <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net> |
| `. `'`  |      . oo       Chris Tillman                        |
|   `-    |     (   -)      tillman@azstarnet.com                |