Re: Help wanted: Cannot use 'man' cmd

Hi All,

On Tuesday 03 April 2001 00:50, siward wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   with all due respect Wichert,
>   i.e. i'm not saying i know better than you,
>   i run as root nearly always and man has worked without any problem.
>   i have frequently used it, directly and as input to a pipe.
>   what problem should i have that i haven't ?

I thinks that's why you should look at the man of man (maybe broken database
or access rights problems or anything, dont know but the man could help...)

According to the message, man is trying to create a temporary file (dont know
where : maybe it stands in the man or in an environment variable specified in
the man) - and has no right to do it. Who owns this directory ? Isn't this
directory a read-only mounted device ? Or a network share you dont have
enough access to ?

>   if not, then you might do
>     man man > somefile

man man | col -bx >> essai.txt

Will allow to remove the special characters (doubled characters and so on) :
already less rude :)

--
Knowledge-sharing and open-source content : another way to gain eternity.
Francis "Dexter" Gois - mailto : fg@tiscali.be