Re: Why /usr/doc AND /usr/share/doc

On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 12:19:13PM -0800, Sebastian Haase wrote:
> I did this on my system:
>    $ /bin/ls /usr/doc/ >1
>    $ /bin/ls /usr/share/doc/ >2
>    $ diff --suppress-common -W40 -y 1 2
> This produces 63(!!!) lines:

Those that exist in /usr/doc but not in the other one are packages that
don't conform to newer Policy.

On my system, the same thing produces 48 lines. <sigh>

[...]
> joe                <

It looks like you aren't running unstable, because I'm sure joe's been
converted to the new scheme?

> ISN'T THIS JUST A MESS ???
> I cannot file a bug report against all these packages.
> If the bug in dpkg is fixed now, why can we not fix
> things now one for all ??

The same question has been raised on debian-devel... I don't know if
something was done.

> instead of
>   rm -rf /usr/doc; ln -s /usr/share/doc /usr/doc
> I would have to do something like(!)
>   mv /usr/doc/* /usr/share/doc; ln -s ...

Perhaps something like:

  find /usr/doc -type d -maxdepth 1 | xargs -iDIR mv DIR /usr/share/doc
  rm -rf /usr/doc
  ln -s /usr/share/doc /usr/doc

That shouldn't have any bad effects, dpkg should follow the /usr/doc symlink
nowadays.