Comments on Debian 2.2/potato release notes

I was just reading the release notes for upgrading to potato:
  http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html
  Release Notes for Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 (`potato'), Intel x86
  $Id: release-notes.sgml,v 1.49 2000/08/13 17:53:41 aph Exp $

Two observations:
1) Under section 3.2, "Necessary actions prior to the upgrade", you write:
You should not do the upgrade using telnet, rlogin, rsh, or from an X session managed by xdm on the machine you are upgrading. That is because each of those services may well be terminated during the upgrade, which can result in an
     inaccessible system that is only half-upgraded.

I installed slink from CD and then upgraded to potato several months ago; my experience indicated that you could not reliably do an apt-get from a GNU/Emacs shell buffer. I reported this issue, but, being new to the Debian world, I do not know if it was fixed or not. Joey Hess was helping me with this in June, bug #60963.

2) A little later in section 3.2 you write:
It is desirable to remove any holds before upgrading. If any package that is essential for the upgrade is on hold, the upgrade will fail. If you changed and recompiled a package locally, and didn't rename it or put an epoch in the

This is confusing, since you suggest putting a hold on ssh. Given that suggestion,
  it seems that the paragraph in question might be better worded as:
It is desirable to remove any holds before upgrading. If any package that is
     essential for the upgrade is on hold, the upgrade FOR THAT PACKAGE will
fail. If you changed and recompiled a package locally, and didn't rename ...

Obviously, you don't need to shout; I did all caps to highlight the change...

Many thanks for your efforts; it's delightful to have this level of documentation available!
--
-Del <*>                 PGP key: http://lincoln.midcoast.com/~del/pgp.html
    Yesterday it worked / Today it is not working / Windows is like that