Re: zless and debian-*doc pakcaging

On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 10:04:36PM -0700, S. Champ wrote:
--snip--

> 2) can we put 'zless' in either the default debian-distribution, or in the dhelp
> or doc-debian packages ?

This is already the case. 'dpkg -s gzip' shows:

----------
Package: gzip
Essential: yes
 This is the standard GNU file compression utility, which is also the default
 compression tool for Debian.  It typically operates on files with names
 ending in '.gz'.
 .
 This package can also decompress '.Z' files created with 'compress'.

Note the 2nd line, `Essential: yes'.
This means that the package will be installed by default as part of the base
system, and dpkg will require quite a bit of convincing to remove it ...

Timshel

--
   Timshel Knoll <timshel@pobox.com>  for Debian email: <timshel@debian.org>
    Second year Computer Science, RMIT   |   CS108 Tutor (Semester 2, 2000)