Re: Apt problem when [Re:] upgrading to potato

On Sat, Jul 15, 2000 at 03:56:48PM +0200, J.A. Bezemer wrote:
> > I came across a problem when upgrading ... after issuing 'apt-get
> > dist-upgrade' it complained with:
> >
> >   E: This installation run will require temporarily removing the essential
> >   package libpam0g due to a Conflicts/Pre-Depends loop. This is often bad,
> >   but if you really want to do it, activate the APT::Force-LoopBreak option.
> >   E: Internal Error, Could not early remove libpam0g
> >
> > Having searched the net, I see that others have had the same problem and
> > that one proposed solution is to issue this command:
> >
> >   apt-get -o apt::force-loopbreak=1 dist-upgrade
> >
> > (from <http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/Archivum/linux-200002/msg00176.html>)
> >
> > Note the '=1' which is required but isn't mentioned in the error message.
> > Also, the docs in version 0.3.19 of apt, don't include any info about
> > Force-LoopBreak.
> >
> > I haven't proceeded any further at this stage, so cannot confirm whether
> > the above works.
>
> Hmmm. Josip: this seems important enough to add a note to release-notes.

Indeed. I've added this paragraph to the top of "Possible issues during or
after upgrade" section in the Release Notes:

  to be able to temporarily remove an essential package due to a
  Conflicts/Pre-Depends loop. <prgn/apt-get/ will alert you of this and
  abort the upgrade. You can work around that by adding something like
  or by specifying <tt>-o APT::Force-LoopBreak=1</tt> option on
  <prgn/apt-get/ command line.

(if anything's wrong with the above _please_ contact me before today's
dinstall run)