Re: Help: Microsoft patent covers package download and upgrade

Previously arto.astala@nokia.com wrote:
> Below is some data on the patent and some historical data
> I dug out from Debian web site. It seems to show that some
> time between -95 and -97 dselect supported upgrading from
> internet.

Firt time it uses a remote database would be January 1996, when the
nfs dselect method appeared. The ftp method was first uploaded on
september of the same year.

> If 0.93R6 already did it I'd be happy. In any
> case I'd appreciate a man page or dselect-beginner.txt or
> something similar from first release supporting ftp access

Look at the dpkg-ftp package.

Wichert.

 / Generally uninteresting signature - ignore at your convenience  \
| wichert@liacs.nl                    http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |