Docbook: section command not working.

I have installed slink (r4 upgraded to r5) and am trying to use
docbook.  I have found that the <section> tag does not work but the
<sect1>, <sect2>, ... commands do work.

I am very green with sgml and docbook.  I am assuming that the <section>
tag is new.  Is this true ?
Maybe I am using an older version of DocBook ?  Version 3.0 instead of a
later version 3.1 or 4.0.

How can I get the <section> command to work ?
I would prefer this recursive command rather than explicitly stating the
level of the section.

Thanks,
Brendan Simon.

PS. Can you also reply to me as well as the lists.