Re: [RFP] A more maneagable way to include documentation

On Mon, Mar 20, 2000 at 07:06:58PM +0100, Javier Fdz-Sanguino Pen~a wrote:
> - Have a www.d.o/devel/ddp section with the DDP pages and all the sgml
> manuals.

Agreed.

> - Have a www.d.o/doc and ftp.d.o/doc section that includes *all*
> finished documentation. Both directories should have the same stuff,
> and this should be included in the official CD's.

Something like that is already done for a lot of the finished docs.

> 1.- move DDP's web from elphick's home pages to Debian's wml. This is
> an easy call, just touch the html files in order to make them wml with
> a defined template.

How do you mean?

They're already WML, so we only need an admin to copy the CVS tree from
/cvs/debian-doc/ddp/webpages to /cvs/webwml/webwml/english/devel/ddp .
And make any additional adjustments to the Makefile etc.

> 3.- Study how can sgml and html/ps/txt copies of documentation that is
> work in progress can be both in debian-doc's CVS area and debian-www's
> WML are.

The unfinished stuff shouldn't be part of the web pages, because it gets
mirrored that way.

That I think has been the whole problem: how to move only the finished
stuff to /doc/ddp/, without the development stuff. I think we should edit
the DDP web pages once we move them to the website so that all references
to unfinished stuff are removed.

Perhaps the stuff in development should be put on (and linked to) another
machine so that it doesn't get mirrored? We have several machines to pick
from.

> 4.- Study how to include *finished* documentation in /doc.
> Two ways:
>
>         - using CVS tags (complicated and might need hacking)
>         - using 'byhand' procedures in packages.

Or just implement the separation like above.

--
enJoy -*/\*- don't even try to pronounce my first name