Re: XML Interface

|> From: "Brian Hunt" <bmh@canada.com> To: <press@debian.org> Subject:
|> XML Interface Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 13:25:46 -0000

|> The support of SGML and XML in Debian Linux comes as a very
|> pleasant, very unexpected, surprise.  At this moment I am
|> motivating several groups of Linux developers, including XFree86,
|> Samba, and Apache, to move their configuration files to XML based
|> from the current text-oriented type.

|> At the moment the lack of adequate tools and XML documentation
|> keeps this endeavor from moving ahead as fast as it might.  My
|> first concern is creating the tools necessary for an end user to
|> take advantage of XML configuration files.  Then porting all the
|> current configuration sets to XML.  This is not a trivial task, and
|> the more members of development teams working towards it, the
|> faster it will be implemented.  My primary concern is with the end
|> user experience.

I'd love to talk to you about it, but I don't quite understand why you
mean when you talk about "XML configuration files".

Much of our efforts in providing an integrated environment has been
geared towards (a) packaging the useful tools (and it's hard to keep
up, believe me), and (b) catalog management.  Regarding the latter,
Cees de Groot has an excellent proposal for catalog and entity
management at
<URL:http://www.sgmltools.org/docs/sgml-dir-standard/t01.html> which I
hope we adopt for potato (next release).

[Yes, bug already filed, and Manoj, the sgml-base maintainer, agrees,
 last I talked to him about it..]

I suspect you're talking about something completely different,
however.