Re: Documentation registration for developers

On 10 Jan 1999 02:58:35 -0600, Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@golden-gryphon.com> said:
>>> "Joey" == Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:

Joey> Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>>> Has there been an consensus on registring package documentation?
>>> If so, should we not move to make it a formal policy rather than
>>> haphazard implementation through partial mass bug reports?

Joey> I'm not sure we have a consensus yet. I just gave up on waiting
Joey> on a consensus and started using doc-base sice it supports all
Joey> the other systems.

> 	I think there should be a more formal method of informing
> developers than mass bug reports, then. I think (and I know joey
> would disagree), that the project needs to take an unified stance on
> registering documentation, and spell it out to developers. In my
> view, the policy mechanism is suited for this.

This is premature.  I have plans to radically revamp the package;
trying to give it the force of policy would really suck.  What if I
have to introduce non-compatible extensions.

I mean, sure, maybe it should all be part of policy, but we're 6
months away form that.

> Even if you disagree
> with that, you would agree that partial, haphazard series of bugs
> reports (some would call it bug terrorism) is sub optimal?

I didn't bless the bug action, nor do I approve it.  In fact, I've
documented against ever doing this thing (in devel-ref).