Re: [New maintainer] Working for Debian is not just about packages

Jor-el <jorel@marvin.megadodo.umb> writes:

> 	And as for the present time, is there some work I can offload from
> you right now?

Really, the best thing to do is to learn enough CVS to checkout, add,
commit, and remove files.  Then check out the DDP cvs area, and go
though and make sure it's accurate, up-to-date, and complete.

Here'd be my task list for any DDP contributor, ultimately being the
responsibliity of the DDP coordinator:

  * make sure all content is complete and up-to-date

  * identify Debian manuals which ought to be written; help develop
    these or inspire an effort to develop them

  * offer use of our CVS area to existing Debian manuals (I believe
    the tutorial author wished to be moved over to our area)

  * make life easier for webmaster by working out a DDP -> web system;
    doing the work is actually quite easy, but it would take a little
    thought in terms of whether we wanna automate it, and if so, do we
    need to have developers use branches for releases, etc.

  * develop or coordinate the development of a general framework for
    i18n of debian documentation -- I have the infrastructure problems
    pretty much solved; it's just a question of some writing etc.  [
    Note: the state of coordination of translations of Debain
    documentation right now is frankly pretty awful ]