Re: Where are detailed potato release notes?

Julian Gilbey <J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk> writes:

> Do we yet have any detailed potato release notes discussing such
> things as major changes to packages, etc.?  I have made sufficiently
> many major changes to the fvwm* packages, with more on their way, to
> feel the need to add something to the release notes.  Or is it the
> case that this sort of thing is left until nearer the release?

No, we don't have this yet, but I propose we start collecting it.
I've started CC'ing Bob Hilliard, who presently maintains the release
notes.

> Another alternative, if it is too much work to maintain detailed
> things like this so long before the release: have any requests such as
> mine pointing to http://www.debian.org/~<maintainer>/<package> and
> have the maintainer deal with the info themselves at this stage.
>
> How does that sound?

Well, generally, I would think /usr/doc/<package>/README.Debian, or
even /usr/doc/<package>/README.Debian_upgrading would be more to the
point.

If it's really something that people need to be aware of when
upgrading, that is, really something very significant, it should be
added to the release notes proper.  Some things which come to mind:

 * must you upgrade to kernel 2.2 for potato?

 * something on the order of the the "Great X Re-org"

Remember, we are going to have over 3000 packages.