Re: Virtual packages list

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         If that is the case, and since it is physically in the
>  policy-package, I offer to maintain the list (assuming the people on
>  the policy list do not think do not object to this blatant grab of
>  power ;-)

Ok.. there was some confusion of debian-www about where the byhand file
virtual-package-names-list.text came from - so it comes from the
debian-policy package.

Christian Schwarz's name needs to be removed from the file, so people stop
bothering him about it. The current text on getting modifications in is:

   1. Post to debian-devel saying what names you intend to use or what
     other changes you wish to make.

   2. Wait a few days for comment.

   3. Mail the maintainer of the virtual package name list (Christian
      Schwarz <schwarz@debian.org>) notifying him of the consensus reached
      (or your suggestions if noone objected).  Please include a proposed
      brief description of the new virtual name(s) for the list.  The list
      maintainer will then post the new list to debian-devel and upload it
      to the FTP site.

   4. Go and use the new or changed names.

Since this was written prior to debian-policy, a new and improved procedure
might be to post to debian-policy about it and if there is a consensus ask
for policy to be changed. <shrug>

--
see shy jo