Re: Well-formed documents and analyzing software (fwd)

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

> Thanks for the pointers. Some of this material will be very useful.
>
> However, I was really looking for a list of Debian packages that compose
> the Debian SGMP tool set. Should I just start with docbook and follow its
> depends, recommends and suggests, or is there a better way to get all the
> useful SGML tools?

See the attached message.  This is becoming a FAQ!

To: Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net>
cc: debian-doc@lists.debian.org, debian-devel@lists.debian.org
Subject: SGML packages in debian
From: Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 11:34:23 -0500

Dale> The reason for my mail is that I tried SGML a while back (maybe
Dale> 2 years?)  and wasn't impressed. From what I have heard on this
Dale> thread, there are several packages that go together to provide
Dale> an integrated SGML system.  Due to the fine degree of modularity
Dale> provided by the Debian package managment system, such package
Dale> collections can sometimes be difficult to decypher. (XFree is
Dale> causing some difficulty in that reguard) Even when the packages
Dale> are properly connected by dependencies, it is not always clear
Dale> which package to pick as the "starting point".

Hmmm... maybe we need to have a meta package.

Dale> To come to the point, can you give me a list of packages that
Dale> compose the "complete" SGML tool set, and some idea of where to
Dale> start reading in order to understand how to use these tools to
Dale> good effect.

This is just the ones I use:

  sgml-base     -- core debian SGML infrastructure
  sgml-data	-- basic, std, SGML entities
  jade          -- required; this package interprets and formats SGML with the
                   stylesheets contained in this package
  sp            -- jade infrastructure; nsgmls is good for validating SGML
  jadetex	-- jade backend for SGML -> DVI, PS, PDF
  tetex-*	-- may be needed for printed output / TeX
  docbook       -- required DTDs; you need version 3.0 or better of the DTDs
  docbook-doc   -- how to use the DTDs
  docbook-stylesheets -- formatting docbook document instance
  psgml		-- Emacs/SGML editing; comes with XEmacs
  debiandoc-sgml-- Debian-specific DTDs and formatting

For programmers working with XML, DSSSL, etc:

  sgmlspm	-- perl modules for processing ESIS stream (from nsgmls)
  perlsgml	-- (don't really use it)
  expat,libxmltok1
		-- James Clark's non-validating XML parser libraries
  dsc           -- DSSSL syntax checker, in case you're customizing DSSSL
  python-xml	-- Python XML tools
  libxml	-- W3O XML lib

Still to be packged:

  XML::Parser (perl expat frontend), other perl XML stuff
  OpenXML  (should be free)
  XML4j (not sure if utterly free, but close)
  Cacoon (see the Apache/Java project)