Re: SGML packages in debian

Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org> writes:

> On 01-Apr-99, 10:34 (CST), Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> wrote:
> > This is just the ones I use:
> >
> [list deleted]
>
> Thanks, I was going to ask you pretty much the same thing. If you have
> the time and inclination, could you recommend a good tutorial on using
> docbook, or do you find docbook-doc sufficient? (I admit that I haven't
> spent a lot of time looking at docbook-doc yet, so if you want to think
> "RTFM, you lazy bugger" and delete this note, that's fine...)

No, not at all a problem.  I agree the curve for approaching SGML is
rather steep, and it shouldn't be.

As for learning DocBook, Norm Walsh, who has written excellent DSSSL
stylesheets found in docbook-stylesheets and is on the DocBook
steering council, is writing a book about it.

Good docbook URLs::

  http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/
  http://nwalsh.com/docbook/index.html
  http://www.veloce.com/books/docbook/ (bit out of date)

SGML URLs:
  http://etext.virginia.edu/TEI.html  -- intro materials on SGML
  http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/
       -- everything collected: tutorials, reference, projects, etc

I'd definately like to see a Debian/SGML tutorial written.  Right now
I'm a little tired of writing and ready to hack.  However, I'm
collecting opinions:

  What kinda of documentation work do you intend to do?  What would
  your ideal tutorial teach you?  What would the starting assumptions
  be?