re: Debian Touts Integrated SGML Environment/sans SMGL-Tools

I received this, and thought I should send it on.  If this isn't the right
place, please forward it.

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 13:54:32 +0100 (IST)
From: Bernd Kreimeier <bk@gamers.org>
To: sgml-tools@via.ecp.fr
Subject: Debian Touts Integrated SGML Environment/sans SMGL-Tools

I am tempted to consider this mildly offensive. Stephane Bortzmeyer
was kind enough to point me towards

 Debian bug #33561

It seems that SGML-Tools-2.0.2 does not only not install with
Debian, it reportedly also wrecks installed packages. If I had
the time, then I'd look into this, but I don't, so I can't.

If somebody is going to throw "hacker release" at me now, I'm
simply stating that a package that does not install cleanly,
and cannot be uninstalled cleanly, has no business messing
with /etc or /usr locations. Maybe it would be appropriate to
make use a fixed prefix (short of making --prefix works flawlessly)
and places said hacker release self contained into a location
where rm -rf does the trick?

As of yesterdays CVS, the "configure; make; make install" error
is nearly similar:

/usr/bin/python tools/rpmaction.py post sgmltools
post sgmltools:
+ cd /etc/sgml/catalog.d
+ rm 75sgmltools.cat 75sgmltools-convert.cat
+ ln -s /usr/local/share/sgml/stylesheets/sgmltools/sgmltools.cat
+ ln -s /usr/local/share/sgml/dtd/sgmltools/catalog 75sgmltools-convert.cat
+ cd ../../../
touch .deps/install-sgmltools
. /etc/sgml/sgml.conf; eval $SGML_POSTPROCESS_CMD
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "/opt/local/sgmltools/bin/buildcat", line 49, in ?
    import string, re, os, glob, types
ImportError: No module named glob
make: *** [install] Error 1

Python 1.5.1 (#1, Nov  2 1998, 19:31:48)  [GCC] on linux2

I don't use Python (I can't even exit the frickin' thing once
called), so even if I had the time, this is just gibberish to
me. Searching the entire CVS by grep shows only an import. man
python does not indicate it's builtin.

------- End of Forwarded Message