Re: Translation of release notes

>>>>> "John" == John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu> writes:

John> I posted this to debian-publicity a few days ago.  But it
John> doesn't look like there is much action there...

John> Here is my translation of Joey's document into english .  Feel
John> free to edit it or use any part in an official release
John> statement.

Hmm... interesting.  Do you think I should merge it with the release
notes?

I'd forward my reply to Joey as well, but I'm not sure which Joey
you're talking about.

John> Debian 2.1, code-named "slink", was released not only for Intel
John> x86 based machines, but also for Alpha, Motorola 680x0, and
John> SPARC based machines.  The SPARC and Motorola distributions
John> appear for the first time in this release.

Incorrect -- the new arches were SPARC and Alpha.

John> Debian is still based on the flexible .deb format. The powerful

Why say "still" ?

John> package manager ``dpkg'', allows easy installation,
John> maintainence, and upgrading of packages.  In particular, dpkg
John> implements a carefully conceived method for handling
John> dependencies and configuration.  Packages from other Linux
John> distributions can be installed via the ``alien'' program.

[...]

John> Debian GNU/Linux 2.1 is delivered with the well tested and
John> groomed kernel 2.0.36 .

x86-centric.  Some shipped with the 2.0.35 kernels, some 2.0.34, some
with 2.2.1 (sparc sun4u only).

[...]

Overall, very interesting -- maybe in a week or so I'll merge it with
my Release Notes.