Re: Notes for DDP writers

On Sun, 14 Feb 1999 02:26:52 -0700, "Ivan E. Moore II" <rkrusty@tdyc.com> said:
> I personally think we should write documentation about Debian
> specific.  Going into as much detail as necessary to explain it.  If
> the user needs more in depth information about whatever, then we
> should pawn them off to the LDP.

> Now..if we feel that the LDP doesn't have enough info on said item,
> then we should help them out... (when it's a general Linux
> item)...but I do believe we shouldn't stop exactly when we start to
> cross over into the LDP area.  We can't make a user stop mid stream
> and go somewhere else to finish.  We should give them a start to end
> on the basics...then ship them off for the advanced to the LDP.
> (Unless the advanced is a Debian specific thing)

I think in some cases, we want to do as you pointed out.  I think in
other cases, we want to simply add a few Debian-specific bits to the
LDP documents.

Obviously, the Installation Manual is a pretty Debian-centric manual.
I would argue that our User Reference Manual, the System Admin Manual,
and the Network Admin manual should be folded into broader LDP
documents for their benefit and for our.  The Tutorial is an edge
case; I can really see the reason to have a simple, Debian-specific
starter document.