Re: debiandoc-sgml vs. docbook

On 29 Nov 1998, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> I don't think you've really grasped what a Formal Architecture would
> buy us.

That is quite possible.

>  We could *translate* from Docbook to debiandoc.dtd in a
> (theoretically) lossless format.

Ah. That solves the output format thing, but not the lack of certain tags
in DocBook, right? i.e. if DocBook never had the information, it can't be
translated?

>  We would be DTD agnostic.  Since the
> DTDs (at this particular point int time) are bound to a formatting
> engine (debiandoc.dtd with Perl/sasp, docbook with DSSSL/jade), we
> could exploit the benefits of both.
>

>From a formatting engine standpoint only, right?

> Of course it's all vapor until someone does it, but, please, don't
> knock it until you at least understand it.

Explain it then. Sheesh. I am discussing, not knocking, and so I do not
pretend to know all the facts beforehand. Thus my first mail ended in a
'?'.

Thanks,
Havoc