Commercial .debs

I just noticed the following planned but non-existent title in the
Debian Documentation Project's list of manuals:

  How Software Producers can distribute their products directly in .deb
       format

I thought a little about what might go in here, and realised that I
have not seen any guidance published for the structure of non-Debian
packages.

Clearly we are going to have trouble in the future if misguided
commercial developers create packages that conflict with official
packages.  While it is clearly up to them to get it right, it would
be a good idea for us to give them guidelines to let them avoid
conflicts.

Should we say, for example, that any commercial package should put all
its files under /opt/<package> or /usr/local/commercial/<package> or
something of the kind?

What other guidance is needed?

     "Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace,
      that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in
      time of need."             Hebrews 4:16