Re: Debian New Maintainer Guide 0.1

At 03:21 PM 11/14/98 +0100, Josip Rodin <joy@cibalia.gkvk.hr> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Take a look at http://www.debian.org/~joy/

I would like to publicly apologize to Josip and then move on.  I reviewed
his article and recommended that he change "guy" to "person".

I merely wanted to mention that women who read Debian documents might be
upset by being refered to as "guy".  Josip is not the only debian-docs
person who has done this so I thought I should mention it in public.  I did
not mean to appear to pick on Josip.  Since finding suitable alternate
wording can be a problem I wanted to mention the URL.

I was also disrespectful towards people for whom English is a second language.

I know that most of Debian work is done by men but I believe this will
change over the next few years.  If women who visit Debian find their
issues respected, they will be more inclined to stick around and help.  The
Social Contract already speaks very clearly on the issue of
non-discrimination, so I didn't really need to say anything at all.

I wanted to provide something constructive and that was the best I could
do.  I would like to thank everyone for their patience and their kind replies.

Josip, I am sorry for having pointed out the matter in a public forum.

	Lyno
--
Copyright(c) 1998 Lyno Sullivan; this work is free and may be
copied, modified and distributed under the GNU Library General