Re: Debian New Maintainer Guide 0.1

At 03:21 PM 11/14/98 +0100, Josip Rodin <joy@cibalia.gkvk.hr> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Take a look at http://www.debian.org/~joy/

You do good work.  You answered a whole lot of questions I have.  I do not
know enough to give you any concrete feedback.  But let me tell you that
you have done a superb job on lowering the barriers, that have perplexed me
for months.  I am almost ready to put my little toe in, to test the water.
Not quite yet, I am still too chicken, but I feel like the day to take the
plunge just moved into the next couple months, where before I thought it
would be months away.

Writing is something I like to do so I can provide small feedback there.  I
recommend you change "guy" to "person".  See
<http://owl.english.purdue.edu/Files/26.html> for a nice little how-to on
avoiding sexist language.  If you would like to add a paragraph to your
article about maintainers needing to remember to write in a non-sexist
style, I would gladly do the research to find a good, permanent URL.
Alternatively, perhaps Debian docs could simply copy the URL from Purdue to
Debian, since its free use is permitted.  I don't know the best way to
handle it, but I think a paragraph in your Guide and a URL, on "Non-sexist
Language" would be very appropriate.

<FISHING> Your article doesn't talk about it and maybe it doesn't exist.  I
have been trying to find a Maintainer "Registry" where I can introduce
myself and provide a brief description of my experience and areas of
interest.  I am looking for the right place to jump in but, meanwhile, I am
certainly available to take on small tasks to help out.  If I could add
myself to the Debiam Maintainer Registry, then maintainers looking for help
could use the Registry search engine to find volunteers.  They might run
across my Registry entry and invite me to volunteer to research a specific
topic and write a section for one of their documentation manuals.  I think
there may be hordes of volunteers lurking around just like me, trying to
figure out how to fit in.  If there is a Registry that I have missed,
please point the way.  Your Guide is simply superb in the way that it
lowers barriers to entry.  If the Registry doesn't exist, would it make
sense, as another way to lower barriers to future maintainership?  I am on
a fishing expedition with this paragraph and won't be upset if it is
ignored.  You seem to be very sensitized to the real and imagined barriers
I perceive, so I thought it was worth a try.  Please provide guidance if I
am being inappropriate.  Thanks. </FISHING>

	Lyno

--
Copyright(c) 1998 Lyno Sullivan; this work is free and may be
copied, modified and distributed under the GNU Library General