Re: Creating Packages with DebHelper

In article <19981112080938.A780@k6.resI.insa-lyon.fr>, Raphael Hertzog <rhertzog@hrnet.fr> writes:
> Le Wed, Nov 11, 1998 at 09:28:22PM -0500, "fantumn \teven
> Baker\<fantumn@quicklinks.on.ca>"@utopia.dotfile.org écrivait:
>> I was wondering if anything like this exists, or if it is in the
>> making.  I dont consider myself to be a good packager, as I was
>> just flying by the seat of my pants during the recent attempts.

> No, it does not exist yet.

>> What I want is either good tutorials on DebHelper, or some really
>> good documentation.  If I can get ahold of some documentation, and
>> a few people to bug with questions, I wouldn't mind writing the new
>> tutorial myself, but I need to know how to do it first!

> Good idea !

Yes; I suggest, if you are truly interested, you should join
<debian-doc@lists.debian.org>, and post your intentions there, or
better yet, an outline.  There *is* other work that has been done, and
other people there who might volunteer to help.

Some feel that we don't have an introductory, HOWTO-style document for
new maintainers.  I think this document and the debhelper HOWTO could
be combined.  This might be controversial to those who believe that
all '/debian/rules' files should be rolled by hand, or that debstd is
the way to go (a waning few).

However, I feel that debhelper *does* hide a lot of the complexity of
debhelper, and that it's a very good tool for new maintainers to use,
even if they intend to roll their 'debian/rules' files by hand.