Re: Re^2: Review of metadata 0.8.0

Marco.Budde@hqsys.antar.com (Marco Budde) writes:
> Am 07.08.98 schrieb apharris # burrito.onshore.com ...

> APH> > dhelp will use /usr/doc/<package>, because the other solution has got
> APH> > to many limits and problems. (Please read the old postings.)
> APH> dhelp must read docreg files wherever they are stored, or else it
> APH> won't comply with the specification.
>
> There#s no specification at the moment! There#re several proposals.

Wait a minnit!  If I'm not writing the doc-base specification, what
the hell am I doing?

> And dhelp 0.4.0 (alpha) supports only /usr/doc, relative paths and
> File/ Identifier.

You need to be able to support URL's and to support /usr/local/doc,
/opt/doc, in short, any possible path into which a docreg file may be
placed.  Remember, install-docs is callable by the sysadmin as well as
from maintainer scripts.

> Remember this is just an alpha version of dhelp! That#s why I have
> released it as experimental.

I'm not at all against you writing experimental implementations
against a spec.  Just as long as you are aware that the spec can
change, and just so long as we do not feel constrained *not* to change
the spec because of any implementations done against the experimental
spec.