Re: [SUMMARY] issues under contention in debian metadata

Some time around  10 Jul 1998 16:31:32 EDT,
         Adam P. Harris wrote:
 > "Oliver Elphick" <olly@lfix.co.uk> writes:
 > > Could you please update the current topics page on the DDP webpages with
 > > a suitable summary of this topic, with references to the full text of
 > > your proposals?
 >
 > Will do.
 >
 > > Please have a look at the webpages for things that are out of date or
 > > incorrect.
 >
 > >From http://www.debian.org/~elphick/ddp/manuals.html.  First off, it
 > would be nice to have a TOC there pointing down to anchors of the
 > major categories, i.e., "General Manuals", "User Manuals", etc.
 >
 > General Manuals:
 >
 > "Debian GNU/Linux FAQ" link (=>
 > http://www.debian.org/~elphick/manuals.html/faq/index.html) is broken.
 >
 > There's another FAQ too, a FAQ-o-matic called the "Debian-user FAQ",
 > maintained by Igor (who is looking for volunteers for maintaining this
 > very bazaar-style FAQ) which is at http://www.debian.org/fom/1.html.
 >
 > Administrator Manuals:
 >
 > The installation guide is maintained now primarily by Igor Grobman.
 > It's been recently updated.  HTML is at
 > http://www.igoria.net/install/install.html, SGML sources are in there
 > too.  He doesn't seem to use CVS; perhaps we could give Igor a subdir
 > under the CVS tree and have him do it right out of there.  Also the
 > title is changed, it's now "Installing Debian Linux 2.0 For x86".  It
 > only covers x86, and Debian Linux 2.0 is not *only* for x86 anymore,
 > so let's try to rid ourselves of x86-centricness.

Yea, I haven't learned CVS yet *blush*, but I am sure it wouldn't take me
long.  As soon as I do that, I'll be happy to maintain debian docs using it ;)

 > Developers Manuals:
 >
 > These are more my personal comments rather than corrections.
 >
 > "Introduction: Making a Debian Package" -- out of date, only mentions
 > debmake, not the debhelper tools.  How this manual fits in with all
 > the other (half-finished, all!) "how to make a package" tutorials puts
 > the relevance of this document into question for me.
 >
 > "Debian Packaging HOWTO" -- also out of date, but more in keeping with
 > what debian manuals should look like.  Igor, is this orphaned or are
 > you still the one?

Well... let's put it this way, I wouldn't mind updating it, but at this point
I have too many Debian things to take care of, and no time for them.  This is
definitely not on the top of my list :(.  It's amazing what a (temporarily)
full-time job can do to you...

 > Someone earlier mentioned a a debmake howto.  I think that and the
 > Packaging HOWTO should be merged.  Can someone track down the person
 > who mentioned they were working on this, get their name and add an
 > entry for them, and maybe convince them to subscribe to this group
 > and/or put their source into CVS under the debian-doc tree and/or
 > merge their manual with the "Packaging HOWTO" above?

I think you are talking about Jaldhar Vyas <jaldhar@braincells.com> .  Last I
heard he was in the middle of rewriting his docs to talk about debhelper.  I
have never used debhelper in my own packages, so if I ever get around to
updating the packaging howto, I would probably have to team up with Jaldhar
and write the "do it all yourself" part of it.

--
Proudly running Debian Linux! Linux vs. Windows is a no-Win situation....
Igor Grobman           igor@debian.org                 igor@igoria.net